Monday, June 20, 2011

Pastry-palooza

I know you’ve probably been losing sleep wondering what pastries I’ve eaten lately.  Hold your breath no longer.

I had a rough day at work the other day, combined with a brief bout of “What am I doing here? I’m going to be single forever, I’ll never meet a believer in Paris, the land of secularism, and I’ll just be sitting in restaurants by myself across from no one forever.  What was I thinking moving here?” 

So, like the emotional eater that I am, I turned to chocolate!  Just kidding, I went to a café and journaled and prayed, and was much better after.  (The verdict: God is good. He is all powerful. He is in control.)

BUT it still had been a long time since I had a pastry (probably bc I O.D.’d on them the first couple months), and chocolate really does help a girl out sometimes.  So I got this!  

  
It. was. amazing.  And no I didn’t lick the paper clean, how ridiculous and uncalled for would that be?

And the next day, I stumbled across two fantastic stores…

I don’t even know what this is:

But I got two.

 
One is pistachio, the other is a word I didn’t recognize, and the woman said it was “from the sea”.  This intrigued me since all the other flavors were raspberry, chocolate, pistachio, almond…nothing sea-related in the least bit.  I had no idea what she was talking about, so I got it.

I took a bite, and it didn’t taste like the sea to me, but it did taste like it was made with 3 sticks of butter.  Butter from the sea, I guess.

And then these are the two pastries I got from Un Dimanche a Paris during my long afternoon walk through the most adorable neighborhood in Paris.

 

And of course I didn’t lick the silver cardboard, what am I, some sort of barbarian who would just eat two pastries in one sitting and then proceed to lick fancy cardboard??  I am a LADY.

…who loves pastries and has no self control.   

Couldn’t have chosen a more dangerous place to live with that specific combination of weaknesses.

I also had a croissant for breakfast that morning.  Followed by a chocolate tour.  Okay, let's just get all the confessions out there...I ate all of the pastries in this post within a 24 hour period, okay???   I KNOW!!  It was an excessive day, even for me.  

Look, I don't like the fact that I now have a folder of pictures labeled "Pastry & Chocolate Binge".  I made myself buy salad & veggies for all this week.  I've had salads daily for lunch and dinner.  Bo-ring.  But necessary.  

Tomorrow night is "Fete de la Musique", a huge music festival that happens in every city all over France to celebrate the first official day of summer.  There will be bands and music all over the streets and in cafes and restaurants, and just people everywhere.  And how amazing that it's mid-June, and I've been wearing a jacket and scarf in the mornings on my way to work??  I'm sure it's the same in Texas, right?  Chilly?

Ok I have to get in the shower and go to bed! Early morning tomorrow, followed by long day of work, followed by late evening of music-festival-ing in the streets, followed by another early morning + 12 hour work day.  Bon nuit!

2 comments:

  1. Ok these pastries look way too good to be true. Are you sure they're real? I'm gonna need you to take a pic after you take a bite or two of one so I know it's not just a pic from google and you're teasing us with all this amazing goodness of sweets and I'm also curious what these things have in the middle! Cream? Caramel? More chocolate fillings? I mean cmon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No judgment here! Pastry O.D. all you want; I would be doing the exact same thing!

    ReplyDelete